VP Asset Management
2603 Augusta Drive Suite 400 Houston, TX 77057 US
Vice President of Asset Management for private equity firm that invests in multifamily and student housing assets located throughout the country. The ideal candidate will be a professional with a proven track record of successfully enhancing the value of conventional multifamily assets (experience with student housing is a plus) through creative strategies and effective leadership.
The Vice President of Asset Management will provide hands-on asset management to ensure business plans for the portfolio are well-executed. He/she will drive property performance from every level and will ensure the successful execution of renovation strategies and capital projects necessary to yield maximum return on investment. The VP of Asset Management will conduct financial reviews, ensure 3rd party management reports are accurate and impactful, and schedule and execute site visits, as necessary.
The ideal candidate will approach the role with a strategic mindset and as a problem solver. This person will also be enthusiastic, possess strong interpersonal and leadership skills, be highly organized, financially astute, and work well under competing deadlines. In addition to 3rd party property managers, the VP – Asset Management will work closely with other groups within the firm, including acquisitions, portfolio management and investor relations.
· Diligent asset management of the portfolio (revenue enhancement, expense management, renovation projects, marketing programs, reputation management, etc)
· Analyze asset performance vs. original underwriting and competitive set performance to adjust management strategies, as necessary; review operating statements and other related operational information and ensure adherence to plan
· Drive performance of 3rd party property managers to meet or exceed budget and business plan metrics; set clear goals and expectations related to revenue, expenses, occupancy and collections
· Work with 3rd party managers to develop “ scopes of work” for capital improvement projects and track ROI
· Prepare and present annual budgets and business plans for each asset to senior management with goal of adding value and enhancing performance
· Complete monthly Asset Performance Report for all properties and identify issues such as under-funded reserves and significant variances in income and expense lines as compared to approved budget. Highlight assets determined to be at risk and recommend go-forward strategy
· Monitor market/submarket conditions (new supply, strategy of competitive properties, major economic drivers, student enrollment, etc.) and modify operational strategy, as needed
· Monitor and ensure optimal execution of student housing lease-up programs
· Review partnership agreements, regulatory agreements, financing documents and other sources to determine financing structures and constraints, as needed
Qualifications and Qualities:
· BA degree in finance, economics, business, accounting or related field
· 7 – 10 years of experience in asset management and/or property management for value-add multifamily or student housing assets
· Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to work in a team environment with a positive attitude and professional demeanor and provide leadership to junior colleagues
· Knowledge of multi-family and/or student housing real estate operations, including property management, marketing and leasing, budgeting, capital needs planning and financial reporting. Prior operations property management experience with assets undergoing renovations is a plus
· Experience managing significant capital projects, including common area and unit renovations
· Effective oral and written communication skills; ability to present strategy, recommendations and decisions in a well-reasoned, well documented manner
· Strong financial analysis skills; ability to gather and analyze data and make sound recommendations related to the strategic direction.
· Ability to set priorities, provide direction and motivate 3rd party property managers to meet deadlines and budgets.
· Ability to think outside the box to grow NOI through creative strategies and execution
· Highly organized and detail-oriented with proven ability to multi-task among competing projects and deadlines
· Strong computer skills and thorough knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with property management software is a plus
· Ability to travel 25 – 40% of the time