Director of Construction and Field Operations
Houston, Texas 77002 US
Director of Construction - South Eastern, PA - Production Home Builder
My retained client is in search of a Director of Construction and Field Operations to join their growing team. their Offices are located in Southeastern, PA with new home communities located throughout Central PA and Southern NJ.
Home Buyers trust them to build their biggest investment and they take this trust seriously. Their team is focused on one common goal, to build the best home for their customers that they will enjoy for years to come. While that may sound demanding, it’ s a remarkable feeling to see a family step into their brand-new home for the first time. They collaborate across all departments and work together to make their customers dreams come true. If you are interested in being part of this dynamic start-up, growing team, and truly making an impact and developing your own Department, read on!
Position reports to: Owner
Expectation of Results
- Homes on budget – each home is built within the target budget provided by Purchasing with all additional costs documented through the variance purchase order system.
- Homes on time – each home is built according to the production schedule
- Homes on quality – each home built according to the company’ s quality standards
- Delighted customers – each home delivered with zero defects – any exceptions handled in a way to further the customer’ s satisfaction
- Clean jobsites – the field is often our potential customer’ s first observation of our company. Our field operations need to look organized, clean, and professional.
- Work environment fostering growth – create an environment were the field team can continually grow their ability to satisfy customers, increase their skills and professionalism, and improve the company’ s ability to earn sustainable and superior profitability
- Be the ‘ Builder of Choice’ for our trades and suppliers – create the same level of work environment for the trades and suppliers so they desire to work for us
- Be industry leading - your continual input shall result in our company providing industry leading construction standards/methodology and home design
Duties and Responsibilities
General Department Responsibilities
- Maintain staffing within the construction team so that well-qualified, high potential employees are hired and retained.
- Lead education, training, and development opportunities for the Construction Department.
- Introduce innovations and cost cutting procedures throughout the Construction Department.
- Coordinate communication within the Construction Department and between the Construction Department and the other departments including: the communication of company decisions, plans, and goals to the Construction Department staff and the accurate and timely communication of pertinent information between the Construction Department team members.
- Establish and conduct a construction safety program which meets OSHA, state, and other relevant regulatory standards, and assures safety of employees, Trade Partners, and others.
- Design, implement, and monitor reporting systems within the department so that valid reports are produced to provide the members of the Construction Team with the information they need including indicators to easily identify concerns to be addressed and eliminated.
- Monitor and analyze cost, schedule, and quality variances so the causes of variances are identified and eliminated.
- Develop and control the division/business-unit field overhead budgets.
- Oversee computer operations within the Construction Department including taking the best advantage of uses of current systems, introduction of new systems, and improvements in the overall computer system.
- Oversee the training of all construction personnel in the use and operation of computer systems and programs as appropriate for each position in the construction department.
- As necessary, interface with Public Agencies, Municipal Governing Bodies, Public Utilities, and Industry Associates in obtaining all necessary permits and approvals; or work with Company’ s Land Development or Permit Department in obtaining these permits and approvals.
- Setting, managing, and ensuring Company’ s centralized construction schedule for each Homestyle or Business Unit as appropriate.
- Construct the homes within the budgetary guidelines established by the bidding process.
- Establish written quality standards of construction and scopes of work for all Trade Partners and develop systems for continuous review of performance of Trade Partners to assure compliance with those standards.
- Establish standards for general site conditions regarding their cleanliness, safe working conditions, and safety procedures so that workers are safe and protected, OSHA standards are met, and workers’ compensation claims are kept to a minimum
- Responsible for maintaining all Erosion and Sedimentation Control measures in accordance with EPA, DEP, local conservation agency, and other relevant governmental standards.
- Provide proper tools, contractors, products, and materials so that houses can be built on time, within budget, and with quality.
- Periodically check work of all superintendents to assure compliance with company construction standards and work with superintendents to improve performance of Trade Partners.
- Visiting job sites periodically and implement standard inspections and the necessary follow up to make the program successful.
- Ensure the Warranty Service Department is equipped with the necessary vehicles, tools, equipment, storage, and inventory to adequately handle the customer’ s warranty service needs.
- Ensure the availability of Trade Partners to complete warranty service repairs where appropriate.
- Develop a warranty service budget and maintain the costs of that department within those predetermined budgetary guidelines.
- Develop a schedule for the completion of walk through and warranty service items and maintain those schedules.
- Ensure customer walk through and warranty service items are completed in a quality, workmanship-like, and timely manner.
- Establish and maintain a quick response time to customer requests and inquiries.
- Establish warranty service policies, procedures, manuals, and convey those to sales & marketing, Trade Partners, employees, and customers as needed.
- Maintain customer satisfaction from Sales Team Handoff through the Warranty Service Period.
- Reviewing all surveys for construction and customer service in order to direct quality improvement efforts.
- 10 or more years’ experience in a production environment
- 4 or more years’ experience in an executive / management-level position with a reputable construction organization
- Knowledge of municipal & state permitting and regulations in PA & NJ
- Minimum 10hr of formal OSHA training (30hr preferred)
- Strong relationship, self-organization, planning and problem-solving skills
- High school diploma/GED required; Bachelor' s degree preferred
- Exceptional computer skills & comfort with technological systems
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please apply.