Chief Operating Officer
1400 Woodloch Forest Drive The Woodlands, TX 77380 US
The COO in this position will work closely with and report to the CEO to set, articulate and manage the direction of the portfolio, ensure that management practices and approaches are in line with industry standards, anticipates the need for change and moving the company and management team forward to be a leader in their space.
- Reporting into the Chief Development Officer (CDO/CEO) and is responsible for operations, development and strategic activities required to fulfill financial and performance targets
- This role has primary accountability for the strategic and financial performance of the company and has significant impact on organizational and business performance.
- Manage the internal and external resources that manage the property acquisition, underwriting, closing, redevelopment, construction and lease up, sales and property management.
- Responsible for territory development nationwide by growing profit, cash flow and market share; lead the planning, budgeting, and forecasting processes; execute strategies to meet or exceed budgets, forecasts and goals
- Influence a wide range of audiences and establishes collaborative relationships within the company and with external organizations; presents and defends complicated or delicate issues that have an important impact on business success.
- Work with the CDO to set and articulate the direction of the portfolio, ensures that management practices and approaches are up to date and in line with industry standards, anticipates the need for change and moving the management team forward.
- Responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of the organization, including both the current portfolio and future expansions, and implementing strategic plans
- Builds and maintains effective working relations between affiliates, partners and the organization
- Establishing and meeting operating budgets, developing a skilled and qualified management team, maintaining positive relationships with subordinates, co-workers, investors and clients.
- The position may also be assigned other responsibilities of chairing business processes, programs, and procedures.
- Responsible for the efficient and cost-effective operation of all properties.
- Leads the completion of annual budgets, tracks financial performance and insures that financial goals and budgets are met.
- Develop systems to build and develop internal infrastructure
- Ensure property values are being maintained and the protection of the owner’ s investment is adequate.
- Leads and monitors the monthly financial performance of each project and ensures that lower level management anticipates and corrects deviations and problems.
- Develops an Annual Management Plan which includes goals for the managed portfolio. Uses this plan to guide and manage the portfolio. Reviews with support staff to insure compatibility with overall goals and requirements.
- Responsible for establishing and monitoring a formal measurement and reporting system to ensure that performance standards are met, and adequate written records of performance are maintained.
- Responsible for creating a positive and collaborative culture and a dynamic and engaging positive work environment
- Provides career development, makes promotional decisions consistent with company plans and objectives as well as established company career paths
- Insures that adequate replacements are available to cover vacations, leaves, and job vacancies. Insures that regional and property office procedures are efficient, appropriate, automated where possible, and improve computer resources.
- Establishes and maintains a formal communication program for the senior level management.
- Assumes responsibility for and is actively involved in a can-do client satisfaction program.
- Provide formal written monthly reporting to the CEO/CDO that summarizes the status of the properties, issues, and corrective actions.
- Conducts regular meetings with Property Managers and Regional Property Managers
- Maintain up to date on all the properties and keep 3rd party owners informed of the overall performance of the property portfolio(s)
- Responsible for developing good community and client relationships and insures good relationships and communication with these groups.
- Performs other assignments, special projects and works with other Company subsidiaries as assigned.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by the CEO/CDO.
Role Specific Knowledge:
- Ability to lead the organization through change
- Proven success record of leading and managing a small team including motivation, performance development, coaching, training and guidance
- Ability to develop short and long term strategic plans, optimize profitability, control expenses and adhere to a budget you created and the investors are monitoring.
- Formulating and assessing budgets while managing the P&L
- Executing the operational plan while managing the details
- Ability to exercise a high degree of confidentiality and discretion
- Skill in appropriate delegating authority, defining approval levels for company procedures and reporting and following up on assignments
- Thorough understanding of real estate regulatory and statutory requirements
- Proficient in identifying problems and developing acceptable and fair solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and excellent customer service and issue resolution skills
- Computer skills sufficient to efficiently utilize hardware and software
Education, Licensure, and Experience:
- Bachelor' s degree, Finance or Real Estate, MBA preferred,
- 15 years of experience in commercial or mixed-use development.