Chief Operating Officer
Los Angeles, CA 90025 US
The Executive Managing Director/Chief Operating Officer will own and drive all internal operations with primary focus on maximizing the net operating income of the company’ s assets. The Company is seeking this key executive to help continue to develop and implement the company’ s operating strategy. Working in close partnership with the CEO, this person will help to refine and drive the strategic plan, as well as create and implement new innovative and dynamic approaches to the corporate and asset operations. Additionally, this person will be a member of The Company’ Senior Leadership Team.
This person will report to and work closely and collaboratively with the CEO. This person will also work closely and collaboratively with other key executives who oversee other disciplines within the firm including Asset Services, Financial Services and New Ventures. Teaming and collaboration versus strict silos are a hallmark of the company’ s structure and culture. The position will be based in the firm’ s corporate office in Los Angeles, California.
This position will be responsible for operations of the Company’ s portfolio which is located 15 states across the country. Direct reports will include the Senior Managing Director, Asset Management Commercial Properties, the Senior Managing Director, Finance, Senior Managing Director, Accounting and Administration and Managing Director, Asset Management Residential Properties.
- The COO will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day management of the company and its properties. He/she will be responsible for developing and implementing best practices to build the capacity for, and support the significant expansion of the business, while maintaining the company’ s reputation for integrity and creativity. Working with the senior management team, the COO will be responsible for the company’ s financial performance and the operational performance of its properties.
- The COO will be responsible for the oversight of hiring and performance management of staff, as well as continuing staff development and training, all done with the company’ s CEO and Managing Directors.
- Acquisitions and Investments will be handled by the CEO and the COO will work with the Managing Directors to help ensure that acquisition efforts achieve their business plans for economic returns, and that the assets deliver long-term. The COO will oversee the integration of the investment activities and other aspects of the firm so as to enhance its performance.
- Provides direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization' s strategy and its annual goals and objectives through the company down to the individual asset level.
- Coordinates the annual property operations plan and budget and demonstrates behavior standards to achieve financial results.
- Provides a strong day-to-day leadership presence, bridging operations with other functional disciplines within the company.
- Establishes enhanced standards, deployment and accountability for implementation and evaluation of high quality resident experiences.
- This person is expected to be a thought leader for The Company and will provide the leadership for the company to constantly innovate its property operations to maximize its revenue streams as well as be able to scale key effective new initiatives quickly and productively.
- Works with the Senior Leadership team to establish and drive execution of a robust strategic plan. Helps design the change processes to implement the initiatives that emerge from such plans for the company as a whole.
- Assigns duties for responsibilities within the portfolio to team members and provides mentoring and career guidance to team.
Experience: Minimum of 15 years of work experience with increasing responsibility in overseeing the operations of a large complex portfolio, preferably of mixed-product assets within several national markets. At least ten years must be in senior leadership position.
Education: A Bachelor’ s degree is required, a MBA is preferred.
Specifically, candidates for this position should have the following experiential qualifications:
- This person will bring an operational approach to running a national real estate company. He/she will have demonstrated success and experience developing and implementing a systematic and controlled process for leading the multiple disciplines of this type of business. He/she will have experience managing people and processes in real estate operations from a consistent set of policies and procedures. He/she will bring a broad approach to best practices across the company and will help integrate and find synergies throughout the overall business.
- This person will be a true real estate investment professional. They will bring a disciplined, financially driven approach to the business. They will ideally have experience to successfully identify, finance, acquire, reposition, property and asset manage buildings and portfolios. While a high-level leader, this person will oversee granular property-level decisions such as the negotiation of key leases, review and approval of property-level budgets and annual business plans, property marketing plans, redevelopment and capital expense strategies, etc., so familiarity with these elements is a benefit.
- While a high-level leader, this person will oversee granular property-level decisions such as the negotiation of key leases, review and approval of property-level budgets and annual business plans, property marketing plans, redevelopment and capital expense strategies, etc., so familiarity with these elements is a benefit.
- This person will have the personality and approach to be part of a collaborative team with the CEO and the CFO as well as a strong team of professionals.
- Strong operational experience: ideally has worked in a senior management role for 10+ years with progressive experience in operational/administrative management.
- Proven experience and demonstrated ability to manage, lead and recruit interdisciplinary teams and build the capabilities of driven, bright and diverse personnel.
- Hands-on leadership experience in a broad array of business situations is required.
- Experience with a Family Office operating company is desirable.
- A strong business understanding of strategic economic issues affecting a company owning different product types in dispersed markets, particularly implementing value-added strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis. Will manage this business with a focus on the bottom line.
- Demonstrated experience with applying technology to improve business operations (Revenue and Expenses) in a cost-effective manner that produces results.
- An ownership mentality for expense controls at all levels of expenditures.
- Will be able to think broadly about the business from the granular level to the big picture. Be able to balance people orientation with a quantitative, rigorous approach to leading the business at each level, and will be able to balance the execution of the current business while also driving to help expand the business. The company anticipates that it will continue to expand its property holdings substantially during the next market cycle.
- The successful candidate will bring a current, state-of-the-art, institutional quality industry perspective and experience to this position.
- This person will have an insightful, discerning intelligence, with the ability to focus on details but integrate them into a larger whole. He/she must have excellent communication skills and the integrity to build trust among stakeholders.
- This person will bring a passion, energy and commitment to making a difference at work. He/she will be a true entrepreneur, helping to build and expand the company. This person will be an innovative and a strategic thinker, not just an operational executor. This person will be a professional and one who will work well with others in a high-performing team environment with the highest caliber professionals. Demonstrated ability to be accessible to and collaborate with others, to lead, motivate and obtain consensus from individuals, groups, organizations and agencies.
- The successful candidate will be known for his/her high level of integrity, honesty and respect for others in both their personal and business relationships.
- While this person will focus their activity more internally than externally, this person will have the strength of character and flexibility of style to work successfully with a range of people from peers, staff, the CEO, board members, investors and other outside professionals. He/she will have the personal presence to deal effectively and independently with these constituencies.
- The ideal candidate will be interested in the growth and development of the careers of the company’ s employees.
- Strong and charismatic relationship builder and communicator with experience leading, motivating and inspiring diverse work teams who can balance strength with humility.
- A person who leads through inspiration, vision and competency and not through rank or position.
- Optimism to face challenges by focusing on the possibilities rather than the consequences.
- Rather than just bring best practices, someone who discovers and/or creates them.
- Challenges the status quo and does not rest on past successes.
- Committed to positively impacting the lives of those around him/her.
- Direct and open communication style. Has presence that commands respect in the industry, within The Company, and with executive leadership group.