Vice President Land Acquisition & Development
Houston, Texas United States
My long time, retained client is seeking a VP of Land for their Houston Division. Amazing culture; privately held, National Home Builder. Great Benefits and a Company you will never want to leave!
VP – Land Acquisition and Development Job Description Summary
The position will lead lot and land acquisitions activities in Houston by identifying suitable lot and land positions in strategic growth markets, completing market and other due-diligence on proposed projects, interfacing and exchanging information with developers and lot and land sellers, and preparing Letters of Intent (LOI) and Purchase Agreements (PA). In addition to acquisition activities, this person will lead development management activities by coordinating with land planners, engineers, and others to convert acquired land into lots or for use in other purposes (i.e. – Amenities, commercial use, etc.). It is anticipated that certain land development opportunities will require outsourcing to 3rd party land development managers due to their scope and/or size. In these cases, this position will lead that arrangement.
The position will manage and work with finance to manage pro-forma tools & project pro-formas for lot and land opportunities, will prepare and consult on land committee presentations, will assist in providing any necessary reporting to corporate, and will obtain and review market reports & analysis.
This position will also obtain and maintain plats, maps, development construction drawings, contract information, written correspondence with land or lot sellers, and other information related land acquisition activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and review lot and land acquisition opportunities.
- Interface with land sellers, brokers, key influencers, and other builders.
- Review, structure, and participate in negotiation for lot and land acquisition opportunities.
- Manage communication with legal, soils and environmental consultants, title and escrow partners, and market consultants.
- Manage outsourcing to 3rd party land development managers, as necessary.
- Analyze potential projects for:
- Adequate financial returns.
- Investment requirements.
- Competitive position.
- “ Own” and oversee creation of pro-formas for potential projects.
- Assist in due-diligence process (lead if necessary), including:
- Competitive market analysis.
- Create, collaborate on and review:
- House construction assumptions.
- Sales assumptions.
- Overhead assumptions.
- Create and/or review land development assumptions, when applicable.
- Prepare and sometimes present Land Committee packages.
- Actively participate with the Company' s Inter-divisional Land Acquisition team to identify and implement process improvement initiatives to take advantage of best practices, establish uniformity and achieve consistency both division-wide and Company-wide.
- Manage Reporting and Processing Requirements
- Pre-Acquisition Budgets
- Land Inventory Charts
- Acquisition Cash Flow Reports
- Project Status Updates
- Land Committee Presentations
- Wire Requests, etc.
- Manage/Oversee Data Warehousing of Land Packages and Pro Formas.
- Maintain all data, contracts, correspondence, and due diligence related to any land or lot acquisition project.
- Manage Special Projects and Assignments as necessary
- Bachelor’ s degree required, Master’ s degree or JD a plus.
- Knowledge of the home building and real estate industries required.
- 10+ years of previous analyst, acquisitions, and financial modeling experience.
- Project management and land planning experience required.
- Finance and metric expertise a must.
- Significant pro forma experience/skills with the ability and desire to learn new modeling tools.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships and network.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to think through and model complex projects and pro-formas.
- Excellent time management, organizational and follow-up skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and assignments.
- Flexibility and adaptability to rapid change.
- Some travel required.
- Appropriate fit for Company' s culture of respect across all lines is a must.
Professional Performance Standards
Responsible and accountable for executing the specific responsibilities listed above in complete conformance with goals, expectations and schedule commitments of the Division.